Wednesday 1 December 2010

The era of Remixes

Last night, I was enjoying my tryst with late night radio music. There is a certain fun when the next song about to be played is not known. I guess that's one of the things which draws me to the radio.

A little while later, I was pleasantly surprised to hear the remix of the song - "Hum bewafa hargiz na the par hum wafa kar na sake". As it played in the encompassing silence of the night, I remembered its famed remixed video as well. The guy from the city in his open top white car getting attached to the scorching hot sexy village belle; the villagers grouped together against their alliance.

I recalled the time period when Instant Karma had recently released a remixed album of choicest songs. There might have been other remix done but i can't think of one which had become as famous as this. So much thought had been put into those complete set of songs, changed the music in such a way that it was soothing and subtle and quite alluring. They brought back the old songs to the lips of everyone, the crucial point being, that all of it was done without degrading the original essence of the songs. Even today I can remember them: "Meri soni meri tamanna", "Saamne yeh kaun aaya", "Baahon mein chale aao", "Nahi nahi abhi nahi" and lots more..

But then an era of remix erupted and every other song was being used and abused. Yes, I use the word "Used" because the originality of it was snatched from it. Even the videos were colored, dirty, so was the music, the changes made so the song would seem sexy though in the first place it was not, hoping and rooting that the modern populace would love it. A business had begun which required not much talent and yet fetched money.

But I am glad that such work has reduced over the time. No wonder as the general public rejected it with feeling.

Making remix also needs finesse and talent. When moulded carefully and gracefully, another art form can emerge.

1 comment: